Friday, March 20, 2009

Thing #8--RSS Feeds

Okay, since I've previously posted on my love for Bloglines, for Thing 8, I'll talk a little bit about how Bloglines helps me as a librarian. One of the things I use Bloglines for is to subscribe to sites that help with RA/collection development. Some of them are "professional" and geared specifically toward libraries and librarians (like Early Word: The Publisher/Librarian Connection) and some are just ordinary people who post reviews and comments on the books they read (Citizen Reader). These give me a chance to explore books and media I might not come across regularly. And reading the posts of someone who loves, say, Regency Romances, keeps me up to date in a genre that I don't read a whole lot of myself, making it easier to do RA.

I'd also like to point out that if you are a children's librarian or a teen librarian, there are a host of people out there blogging their ideas for children's and teens' programming. Plug them all into Bloglines, and you have a wonderful programming resource.

No comments:

Post a Comment